Tuesday 14 August 2012

Simple Carrot Cake


Simple Carrot Cake

I believe cakes should be simple... They should be something you can make up in a jiffy but that still taste amazing. Particularly this is true for vegan cakes, which are generally so quick to make.
Or should be. I’m always irritated when looking for a certain cake recipe or other (like carrot cake) to find how some people over complicate it. They start adding ingredients to make their recipe sounds more impressive, or use mad things like agar syrup. Seriously, agar syrup? I live in Ireland and am a student, how can I go find this never-heard-of-before ingredient, and cheaply?
More so, I feel doing such things makes vegan baking seem so much less accessible and is so discouraging to vegans and non vegans alike. The message should be that you don’t need any complicated ingredients to do some vegan baking - it’s simple, quick, cheap and anyone can do it.
So after giving up with complicated recipes, here’s a lovely little carrot cake :)


Ingredients:
- 1 ¾ cups flour (I used white self raising, but can use brown and add baking powder)
- 1 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup oil
- 1/3 cup water (can use milk, or orange juice)
- 3/4 cups grated carrot
- 1 tbsp vinegar
- Spices: Cinnamon, Mixed Spice (about 1 tbsp, or to taste)
Raisins, walnuts etc are optional

1. Mix the dry ingredients. Add the carrot and mix. Add the oil and water and mix. Add any extra ingredients like raisins if using.
2. Add in vinegar and pour straight into a greased oven container. Bake at 180˚for 30mins, or until toothpick comes out clean. You can then cover it with a icing sugar-water-lil bitta (dairy free) butter topping and sprinkle with walnuts etc.


Light and little effort - perfect for a warm day like today.
I realise this and the Coconut Coffee cake persay don’t qualify to be in this blog, as they’re both cakes and I’ve made many cakes before... (And this blog is all about things we've not tried before) But they’re so simple I thought I’d add them in.



1 comment:

  1. Thanks for including this recipe. I've made it twice so far and really like it. I need to get better at making the icing though!

    ReplyDelete