Sunday 17 June 2012

Gribnie kotlety (Mushroom cutlets/patties)


Gribnie kotlety (Mushroom cutlets/patties)

I have quite a fondness for Russian food, particularly as it reminds me of my childhood. Russian food tends to focus a lot on meat though unfortunately. My dad was always the good cook in the family when we were growing up and since I became vegetarian eleven or so years ago, and particularly since I became vegan, has tried adapting more traditional recipes to be veggie friendly so I can still enjoy them. This was one that I was particularly impressed with as it captures the taste and texture of Котлеты so well. Mushroom kotlety are the usual vegetarian adaption used by people, but the buckwheat used here really adds. Unlike the kind of ‘burgers’ one would usually find that are cooked all through and the same throughout, kotlety are supposed to be more round, soft on the inside and crispy on the outside. Usually they’d be served with some potatoes and Russian salads.


Ingredients:
- 1 cup buckwheat
- 1.5 packs of mushrooms
- 2 onions
- ½ cup flour (depending how wet the mixture is)
- Spices/Herbs; parsley, thyme, rosemary, black pepper (to taste)

1. Cook the buckwheat fully by boiling in water (but not to the consistency of porridge).
2. Fry the mushrooms and onions. Place in a blender and blend until a rough paste.
3. Drain buckwheat and mix with mushrooms and onions mixture. Add flour and spices.
4. Fry on until each side is browned.


Technically this recipe could have been made without the flour, but I personally felt while making it that some should be added. It might have taken away from the taste somewhat though so I would use it in slight amounts again perhaps.

Not that I haven't been making sweet things these days... (lime cake, lemon cake, chocolate brownie in a bowl, chocolate orange cake) but I've been keeping to old trusted recipes that I adapted and that aren’t 'new' things to be putting up here. The third one is newish though, and it’s something everyone should try: http://artofdessert.blogspot.ie/2010/11/quick-fix-microwave-brownie.html
 Just use dairy free milk and butter, top with chocolate Swedish Glace/Sorbet and some chocolate sauce…. Careful though, it’s very indulgent!






No comments:

Post a Comment